The University of Oxford is the top school in the United Kingdom and the 5th best on the planet, according to the 2019 Best Global Universities rankings from U.S. News and World Report. Rounding out the top five schools the United Kingdom were the University of Cambridge (which took 7th place on the global list overall), Imperial College London (18), the University College London (21), and the University of Edinburgh (27). U.S. News ranked 90 schools from the United Kingdom overall.
Harvard University landed on the top of the overall ranking, followed by Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Stanford University, and the University of California, Berkeley. The California Institute of Technology held on to 6th place, with the University of Cambridge, Columbia, Princeton and the University of Washington in Seattle finishing out the top 10.
Top 12 best universities in the UK, 2019
- University of Oxford (which took 5th place on the global list overall)
- University of Cambridge (7th)
- Imperial College London (18th)
- University College London (21st)
- University of Edinburgh (27th)
- King’s College London (39th)
- University of Manchester (58th)
- University of Bristol (77th)
- London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (79th)
- University of Southampton (94th)
- University of Glasgow (95th)
- University of Birmingham (96th)
Top 10 best universities in the world, 2019
- Harvard University (United States)
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (United States)
- Stanford University (United States)
- University of California—Berkeley (United States)
- University of Oxford (United Kingdom)
- California Institute of Technology (United States)
- University of Cambridge (United Kingdom)
- Columbia University (United States)
- Princeton University (United States)
- University of Washington (United States)
Now in its 5th year, the Best Global Universities methodology – weighs factors that measure a university’s global and regional research reputation and academic research performance. For the overall rankings, this includes bibliometric indicators such as publications, citations and international collaboration. The top 1,250 schools in 75 countries were ranked.
With 227 schools ranked, the US has the most institutions on the overall list of 1,250 schools, followed by the following countries:
# China: 130
# UK: 78
# Japan: 67
# Germany: 62
Dr. Amarendra Bhushan Dhiraj is the CEO and editorial director at CEOWORLD magazine, the leading global business magazine written strictly for CEOs, CFOs, top managers, company directors, investors, senior executives, business leaders, high net worth individuals, and the most globally powerful men and women.